Stuff Limited (“Stuff”) organises the Readers' Rail Tours (the “Rail Tour”). In these terms and conditions “Terms” the Rail Tours participant is referred to as “Participant” and “you” and Stuff is referred to as “Stuff”, “we”, “us” and “our”.
The 2018 Readers’ Rail Tour - presented by The Dominion Post - is taking place in the South Island of New Zealand, from Friday 5th October through to Thursday 18th October 2018. The Rail Tour starts in Wellington and ends in Christchurch. If you’re travelling from outside the start and end locations, you are responsible for your own travel arrangements and flights to meet the group in Wellington and return from Christchurch, plus any associated accommodation and meal costs.
Each Participant who registers for the Rail Tour agrees to be bound by these terms and acknowledges that these terms may be subject to change from time to time at the discretion of Stuff without notice to the Participant.
Rail Tour Details
If you wish to attend the Rail Tour you will need to register for the Rail Tour by completing the booking form online or request a booking pack to be couriered by contacting :
Post to: Readers’ Rail Tour
PO Box 90741
Victoria Street West
Phone: 0800 0800 99 during business hours (free number)
Registration does not guarantee you a space on the Rail Tour, Tickets for the Rail Tour (“Tickets”) are subject to availability and are available on a first in first served basis. Right of entry reserved.
1. A single Ticket is $5895 including GST per person (twin share) (“Ticket Fee”). A $300 non-refundable deposit per person is required to secure your booking. A single supplement is available for solo travellers at $6295 including GST per person. Payment by credit card is subject to a 2% surcharge and 1.5% service and delivery fee. Please refer to your booking form for these prices. The tour starts in Wellington and finishes in Christchurch.
The tour does not include transfers, accommodation and meals prior to the tour commencement or at the conclusion of the tour.
2. Stuff may (at its sole discretion) change the date or cancel the Rail Tour at any time for any reason including force majeure. Where the Rail Tour is cancelled for whatever reason Stuff will best endeavour to reschedule the Rail Tour. If Stuff cannot reschedule the Rail Tour, or you are unable to participate in the rescheduled Rail Tour you may be entitled to a refund of the Ticket Fee.
3. You are responsible for all additional costs associated with your participation in the Rail Tour including, meals where these are not provided for in the itinerary. The itinerary may be subject to change, at the discretion of Stuff.
4. If you can no longer attend the Rail Tour you must notify Stuff in writing as soon as possible so that your space may be reallocated. All cancellations by you are subject to the cancellation policy below.
The following policy applies to refunds for cancellation by any Participant of the Rail Tour:
a. All cancellations must be in writing and be received before the final balance of payment date.
b. Cancellations up to six (6) weeks prior to departure: Full refund, less deposit ;
c. Cancellations less than six (6) weeks and up to 14 days prior to departure: Refund less $2500; and
d. Cancellations 14 days or less prior to departure and on-tour curtailment: No refund.
e. Rail Tour participants will not be refunded the credit card surcharge fee.
Consent to Media Coverage of the Rail Tours
5. You consent to Stuff carrying out filming, sound recording and/or photography of the Rail Tour as a participant and you consent to the use by Stuff of any such recording or photography for promotional, marketing and other purposes without payment or compensation.
Registration and Personal Information
6. You declare that all the information supplied in registering for the Rail Tours is true and correct, and that you will update Stuff with any changes in the time between applying and the Rail Tour commencing.
7. Use of the registration platform and the Stuff.co.nz website is subject at all times to Stuff’s standard terms and conditions of use which can be viewed here http://www.stuff.co.nz/about-stuff/10647764/Website-terms-and-conditions.
9. You understand that you can gain access to your personal information and request that such details be updated if they change in the future by writing to the Privacy Officer c|- Legal, Stuff Limited, PO Box 2595 Wellington.
10. We strongly advise all participants to take out suitable travel insurance to cover cancellation costs.
Agreement and Indemnity
11. At times entering and exiting the train, coach and vessels can be demanding for those with limited mobility. To ensure the tour is enjoyable for you, a good standard of fitness is required with the ability to climb and descend 15 steps, walk unassisted comfortably for 400 metres and be able to look after yourself unassisted for an extended period if required. If there are any issues around this or you have concerns, please discuss your situation with us.
12. The Rail tour is not suitable for those with wheelchairs or mobility frames.
13. I declare, as a condition of registering for the Rail Tour, that I am not aware of any illness, injury, physical disability or impairment which may cause me injury or death during or as a consequence of my participation in the Rail Tour.
14. I confirm that I am in a state of well-being in which I realize my own abilities, can cope with the extra stresses of extended travel, and can function adequately without causing undue encumbrance to the tour group.
15. The decision to participate is entirely my own and I accept all risks associated with my participation in the Rail Tour, including but not limited to loss of life or permanent injury. I agree to accept full responsibility to inform myself and assess all the dangers, hazards and risks of registration in the Rail Tour and rely solely on my own assessment of these dangers, hazards and risks before participating in the Rail Tour and notwithstanding any decision thereon made by the Rail Tour organisers and other persons, corporations and bodies involved, engaged in promoting or staging the Rail Tour.
16. Stuff will not be liable for any loss or damage (including consequential loss or damage, loss of profits, loss of revenue or loss of savings) which may be suffered or incurred or which may arise directly or indirectly in respect of your registration and or participation in the Rail Tours or any failure or omission on the part of Stuff to comply with its obligations under these Terms.
17. All conditions and warranties which may be implied by law into these Terms are excluded except to the extent that it would be unlawful to do so. You agree that to the extent that you are acquiring goods or services under these Terms for the purposes of a business, the guarantees provided under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 shall not apply to Stuff’s supply of such goods and services.
18. You will indemnify Stuff against any costs, losses and damages and will, at your cost, defend or settle any claim suit, action or proceeding brought against Stuff arising from: (a) any breach of these Terms by you; and (b) your participation in the Rail Tours.
Exclusion of third-party representations
19. Whilst all material and content provided with regard to the Rail Tours is derived from sources believed to be accurate and current we give no representation or warranty as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of the content.
Rail Tour Rules and Regulations
20. I acknowledge that Stuff or its representatives may remove me from the Rail Tour and/or exclude me from participating (a) if my behaviour is inappropriate, offensive, or abusive, (b) to prevent damage to any property, (c) on medical or health and safety grounds (including to prevent possible harm or injury to myself or any other person), or (d) to prevent or arrest any form of unauthorised marketing, including ambush marketing.
21. Tickets may not, without the prior written consent of Stuff, be resold or offered for resale at a premium (including via online auction sites) or used for advertising, promotion or other commercial purposes (including competitions and trade promotions) or to enhance the demand for other goods or services, either by the original purchaser or any subsequent bearer. If a Ticket is sold or used in breach of this condition, the Ticket may be cancelled without a refund and the bearer of the Ticket may be refused admission.
Consent to Medical Assistance
22. I consent to receive such medical aid or preventative treatment which may be deemed advisable in the unfettered direction of the Rail Tour staff in the event of any injury, accident or illness to me during my participation in the Rail Tours.
23. I consent to the release of my personal information to medical assistance personal and the Rail Tour staff in the event of a medical emergency during my participation in the Rail Tour.
Rail Tour Entry and Refunds
24. I agree that registration for the Rail Tour is personal and specific to me and that no other person is permitted to participate in my place. Ticket fees are not transferable to other participants without prior approval from Stuff.
25. I agree that ticket fees are not transferable to future Rail tours.
26. I understand that should my personal or contact details change after my registration is completed it is my responsibility to notify the Rail Tour organisers.
27. If a person-to-person transfer option is made available, which will only occur at Stuff’s discretion, I consent to paying any applicable administration fee at the time of transfer.
28. Refunds may, at Stuff’s discretion, be made available outside of the cancellation policy in clause 5 where participation in the Rail Tour is not appropriate due to a medical reason that is supported by a current medical certificate outlining the condition. Refunds will not be made for any additional items purchased, such as merchandise or charitable donations. Rail Tour participants will not be refunded the credit card surcharge fee.
29. Should the Rail Tour have to be cancelled due to reasons beyond our control after the Rail tour has commenced, there will be no refund of fees.
30. I certify that I am 18 years or older, or that I am the parent/legal guardian of the participant who is under the age of 18 years, and I have read this document and fully understand it. As a parent or legal guardian, I agree to these Terms for and on behalf of the participant. I also agree that, if signing this on behalf or a participant under the age of 13 years, that that participant will be accompanied by an adult at all times during the Rail Tour.