Experience the beauty of New Zealand from the comfort of a unique rail tour and coach
For 28 years the Readers’ Rail Tours have been taking our loyal readers on unforgettable journeys exploring the rich history and culture of New Zealand. The tours were created as a way for like-minded travelers to come together and enjoy this unique experience of rail, cruise and coach travel - all while forming lifelong friendships and memories.
Years later, we’re just as passionate about bringing you an experience of a lifetime by discovering the beauty of your own backyard. From the deep South to the far North, we’ll leave no stone unturned. Operating in October, April and May each year, our 14-day tours alternate between the north and south islands, presented by The Dominion Post, The Press and The Sunday Star-Times newspapers. Each tour offers a variety of day-to-day excursions ranging from garden tours, scenic walks, cultural museums, luncheon cruises and much more.
Unlike any other travel package, we offer our readers the unique opportunity to get to know our editorial team behind the news you love to read as they join us on tour. You’ll also find comfort in our experienced tour leaders whose duties extend far beyond simply offering commentary - our friendly and trusting crew will ensure that your luxury and comfort is our priority.
The tours offer a full service of all transport, porterage, day excursions and activities, good quality hotels and most meals (specified in itineraries). To find out more about what exciting adventure we’re planning next, click below on the tour that interests you.
Secure your seat on our 2018 Spring Tour
5 October - 18 October, 14 days
Join us this Spring as we explore our own backyard, venturing South to experience some of New Zealand’s natural wonders.
• Explore the picturesque Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park, surrounded by a breathtaking environment of glaciers, terminal lakes, turbulent rivers and Australasia's tallest peak the mighty Aoraki Mt Cook (3,724m)
• Take in the breathtaking views from the unique Taieri Gorge Railway
• Stroll through the serene rainforest along the West Coast treetop walkway and take in the majestic snow capped Southern Alps and Tasman Sea.
• Take day trips to Doubtful and Fox Glacier.
• Visit the National WOW Museum and Nelson Classic Car Collection.
“I am a widow, so going on organised tours is great. I have done quite a few overseas tours and this one is right up there as one of the best. Well done. The organisers and especially our tour leaders.”
- Tour Attendee October 2017
"I have made some great friends as well as seeing new places and having some wonderful memorable experiences. Thanks to you and your team for your superb organisation of the Rail Tours - they've been highlights of my 2017!"
- Tour Attendee October 2017
Sunday Star Times
The Dominion Post