Experience the beauty of New Zealand by train, ferry and coach
For 28 years the Readers’ Rail Tours have been taking our loyal readers on unforgettable journeys exploring the rich history and culture of New Zealand. The tours were created as a way for like-minded travelers to come together and enjoy this unique experience of rail, cruise and coach travel - all while forming lifelong friendships and memories.
Years later, we’re just as passionate about bringing you an experience of a lifetime by discovering the beauty of your own backyard. From the deep South to the far North, we’ll leave no stone unturned. Operating in October and May each year, our 14-day tours alternate between the North and South Islands, presented by The Dominion Post, The Press and The Sunday Star-Times newspapers. Each tour offers a variety of day-to-day excursions ranging from garden tours, scenic walks, cultural museums, luncheon cruises and much more.
Unlike any other travel package, we offer our readers the unique opportunity to get to know our editorial team behind the news you love to read as they join us on tour. You’ll also find comfort in our experienced tour leaders whose duties extend far beyond simply offering commentary - our friendly and trusting crew will ensure that your luxury and comfort is our priority.
The tours offer a full service of all transport, porterage, day excursions and activities, good quality hotels and most meals (specified in itineraries). To find out more about what exciting adventure we’re planning next, click below on the tour that interests you.
Secure your seat on our 2018 Spring Tour
5 October - 18 October, 14 days
Join us this Spring as we explore our own backyard, venturing South to experience some of New Zealand’s natural wonders.
• Cruise on the Interislander across Cook Strait and through the Marlborough Sounds between Wellington and Picton.
• Learn about fashion design and innovation at the National World of Wearable (WOW) Arts Museum and Nelson Classic Car Collection.
• Stroll through the serene West Coast rainforest canopy along the treetop walkway and take in views of the majestic snow capped Southern Alps and Tasman Sea.
• Take in the breathtaking views from the heritage Taieri Gorge Railway, and the TranzAlpine Railways, rated as one of the top rail experiences in the world.
• Enjoy a full day tour through the breathtaking wilderness of Wilmott Pass and Doubtful Sound in Fiordland National Park.
• Travel on the iconic Queenstown gondola and enjoy the panoramic views of Lake Wakatipu and surrounding mountains whilst dining at the Stratosfare Restaurant.
• Relax at the iconic Hermitage Hotel with breathtaking views in Aoraki Mount Cook National Park, and enjoy local scenic adventures.
“I am a widow, so going on organised tours is great. I have done quite a few overseas tours and this one is right up there as one of the best. Well done. The organisers and especially our tour leaders.”
- Tour Attendee October 2017
"I have made some great friends as well as seeing new places and having some wonderful memorable experiences. Thanks to you and your team for your superb organisation of the Rail Tours - they've been highlights of my 2017!"
- Tour Attendee October 2017
Sunday Star Times
The Dominion Post